Article 40. Termination of Labour Contract on the Initiative of Employer
Labour contract entered into for indefinite period of time, as well as term labour contract prior to completion of its validity period may be terminated by the owner or authorized by him/her body only in the following
1) changes in production and labour organization, including liquidation, reorganization, bankruptcy or conversion of enterprise, institution, organization, reduction of number or staff of employees;
2) revealed inconsistency of the employee with job or with work performed as the result of insufficient qualification or state of health which prevent continuing this work, as well as in case of cancellation of access to state secret, if fulfilment of obligations imposed on him/her requires an access to state secret;
3) systematic failure to fulfil by the employee without good reasons obligations imposed on him/her under labour contract or internal regulations, if disciplinary or civil sanctions have been previously applied thereto;
4) absence from work (including absence from work for over three hours during the working day) without good reasons;
5) absence from work within more than four successive months as the result of temporary disablement, except for maternity leave, unless longer period of workplace (office) preservation at particular disease established
by legislation. Employees who lost capability in connection with labour injury or occupational disease shall retain their workplace (office) until rehabilitation or establishment of disablement;
6) reinstatement in a job of the employee who had been previously performing this work;
7) showing up for work intoxicated with alcohol, narcotics or other toxic substances;
8) on-the-job embezzlement (including petty one) of owner’s property established by court judgment that became effective, or by resolution of the body which competence includes imposing administrative sanction or taking
measures of social influence.
Dismissal on the grounds mentioned in clauses 1, 2 and 6 of this Article shall be allowed, if the employee may not be transferred to another job by his/her consent.
Dismissal of the employee on the initiative of the owner or authorized by him/her body shall not be allowed within the period of his/her temporary disablement (except for dismissal according to clause 5 of this Article), as
well as within the period of his/her staying on leave. This rule shall not apply to cases of full liquidation of enterprise, institution or organization.
You can download English text of the Labor Code of Ukraine (version of 2010) here /uploads/9/9/8/5/9985465/labour_code_of_ukraine_2010.pdf
If you need legal consulation on Labour code of Ukraine and its labour legislation or practice, please, apply to One Stop Ukraine through our contact form or via e-mail